Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Livin in the Projects



It seems as though the last few months our house not been settled. There has been some kind of project going on in one room or the other at all times. We repainted the kitchen and put a chair rail up. We had multiple dining tables and washing machines taking up the kitchen. We canned the veggies from our garden. There were lots of holiday and decor crafts. And we painted out kitchen cabinets. Further explanation follows:

Our bed is just on a bed frame. We didn't have a head board or anything. I got inspired by Pinterest and rescued an old 70's head board from the D.I ($5.00!) I just spray painted it and screwed it into some boards so that it would sit really tall and look the way I wanted it to. This is how it turned out, and I'm pretty happy with it :)



Here is a witch hat I made and some D.I. shows turned witch shoes. Thanks to my sister for coming up with the perfect "witch" saying to go with my decorations.
We've been enjoying the spoils of our summer garden. All except for our pumpkins... THEY WERE STOLEN!!! There wasn't a lot of "love at home" for FHE the Monday night we planned to carve pumpkins, only to discover that they were all gone!
We canned our own salsa, tomato sauce, and peach cobbler filling. We also froze corn, creamed corn, and green beans. I've also become quite the expert with Zucchini. I made up my own recipe for Zucchini bread and I make some killer Zucchini cupcakes! (that one's not my own recipe :)
We painted the kitchen/dining room turquoise and put up a white chair rail. To see a "before" picture of our kitchen go to a few posts back when we moved into our house. It used to be green and a lot of people commented that they liked that color, but something was bugging me. I think it went too perfectly with the decorations and looked all "matchy-matchy" like a grandma kitchen or something. I wanted to go with a color that was bright and unexpected.
We originally had a borrowed kitchen table from a family member. I wanted one that was a little smaller to make our kitchen not seem so crowded and I wanted one that matched. So I got this table and chairs at the D.I. for $18.00 I just re-covered the chairs to match and used a new particle board circle for the top because it was missing.( that's why we had 2 tables taking up our kitchen for a while, we didn't have a truck to returned the borrowed one. And the 2 washing machines were here too because we had a really old 80's washer that my uncle gave us but my sister's boss was getting rid of his newer washer and offered to give it to us. Once again we had to find the truck to move it all around.)
We painted our cabinets black. It was a long, tedious process but we are really happy with how it turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment